– Research on genetic risk factors by means of association case control studies through tagging SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms) and microsatellites in the areas of susceptibility for Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias
– Studies on genotype-phenotype correlations in families presenting forms of autosomal dominant transmission
– Analysis on inflammatory molecules in biological samples of patients
– Analyses on the genic expression of peripheral blood cells in order to evaluate the expression of molecules implied in the pathogenic process of dementias. Such molecules have been studied also on the level of serum and CSF by means of specific immunoenzymatic dosages as to test their effectiveness as diagnostic and prognostic markers
– Studies on whole genome expression by means of the ‘Illumina’ technology on mRNA and non-coding RNA. Different studies intended for the characterization of specific profiles of expression of miRNA in the cells and biological fluids of patients have been performed in this field, in order to identify new biomarkers of disease or new therapeutic targets.
– Epigenetics: studies on the role of microRNA in the pathogenesis of dementias